Ioanna Zergioti is a Professor at the National Technical University of Athens, School of Applied Mathematics and Physical Sciences. She studied Physics at the University of Crete and she received the degree at the Foundation for Research and Technology-Hellas, for her work on the growth of thin nanocrystalline Carbide films and mechanisms using laser based process. In the framework of her PhD work she worked for the fall semester of 1996 in the Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of California, Berkeley on the Laser Induced Forward Transfer process. After her PhD, she worked as a post doctoral researcher in the Max Planck Institut für Biophysikalische Chemie in Göttingen, on Laser matter interactions studies. Then, she worked as a post-doctoral researcher in the Philips CFT on Laser Sintering of sol gels for electronics until 2000. She was a researcher for 4 years (1999-2003) at the Laser Applications Division of the Institute of Electronic Structure and Laser – FORTH, where she developed works on ultrashort laser microstructuring (etching and printing) of metals, oxides and biomaterials. Since September 2003 she was appointed at the National Technical University of Athens, School of Applied Mathematical and Physical Sciences and since 2019 she is a Professor. Her main activities are related to the laser microprinting of biological molecules and laser matter interaction studies for biotechnological applications and organic electronics.
She has co-authored more than 80 publications in international refereed journals, 90 publications in conference proceedings, 3 chapter in scientific books, 3 granted Greek patents, 1 European patent and 2 PCT. She has co-organised CLEO, EMRS and COLA conferences. Over the years she has gained experience in leading R&D activities in the frame of EU funded RIA as a principal investigator (in more than 20 projects overall). She is currently coordinating three European Research project, one H2020-FETOPEN-1-2016-2017 “LEAF-2D”, and two National Research projects through the Operational Program Competitiveness, Entrepreneurship and Innovation, under the call RESEARCH–CREATE–INNOVATE: "LP-DRUGS", "ΣΥΝ-LASER", and as PI in "ΕΛΑΙΩΝΑΣ" and as partner in "HELLAS –CH".
- Work Address: National Technical University of Athens, Iroon Polytehneiou 9, 15780 Zografou, Athens
- e-mail: email@example.com
- Home address: Mavragani 6, 15669, Papagou, Athens, Greece
- Marital status: married, two children
- Telephone: +30 210 7723345
- Date of birth: 22/05/66
- Place of Birth: Kalamata
- Nationality: Greek
- Doctoral Thesis in Laser Materials Processing (Ph.D., 1997) Mechanical Engineering, Department of the University of Thessaly in collaboration with Foundation for Research and Technology – Hellas, Institute of Electronic Structure and Laser (FORTH-IESL)
- Bachelor of Science in Physics (B.Sc., 1988) University of Crete, Greece
- June 2013-present: Associate Professor, Department of School of Applied Mathematics and Physical Sciences, National Technical University of Athens.
- Nov 2008-June 2013: Assistant Professor, Department of School of Applied Mathematics and Physical Sciences, National Technical University of Athens.
- Sept. 2003-Nov 2008: Lecturer in the Physics Department of School of Applied Mathematics and Physical Sciences, National Technical University of Athens.
- Aug.2001-Aug. 2003: University of Crete, Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Material Science and Engineering.
- Aug. 2001-Aug. 2003: FORTH-IESL, Laser & Applications Division, Heraklion, Greece – Lecturer Researcher.
- Sept. 1999-Aug.2001: FORTH-IESL, Laser & Applications Division, Heraklion, Greece – Postdoctoral Researcher.
- Dec.1998-Sept.1999: PHILIPS CFT, Parts Processing Department, Laser Materials Processing group, Eindhoven, The Netherlands – Researcher.
- Jan.1998-Nov.1998: Max-Planck-Institut fuer biophysikalische chemie, Laser Physik department, Goettingen, Germany - Postdoctoral Researcher.
- Fall 1996: University of California, Berkeley, Department of Mechanical Engineering, California, USA - Ph.D. Visiting Researcher.
- 1991 to 1997: FORTH-IESL, Laser & Applications Division, Heraklion, Greece - Laboratory scientist.
- Publications: 71 publications in International peer-reviewed journals, 73 publications in International conference and 23 conference proceedings, 3 chapter in scientific books, 3 granted Greek patent, 1 European patent.
- Invited talks: 14 invitations.
- Citations: 1077 non-self citations in international refereed journals, h-factor: 18.
- Scholarships: EU scholarship (Marie-Curie, TMR grant 1998).
- Member of EC evaluation and review PANELS: Member of the evaluation Physics and Engineering panels of Marie Curie (IXF, ITN, IAPP) from 2003 to 2012, member of the review monitor panel of ITN-IAPP 2008, from 2010 to present, member of the evaluation panel and Integration Panel of the call FP7-ICT-2011-7 Objective 3.6, member of the evaluation panel of the NMP 2007 evaluation panel FP7 "Nanostructured coatings" call, review and monitor of ICT projects “microsystems” (2009-2012), member of the National evaluation panel for supporting Research at SMEs, 2010 and the “photonics” and “organic electronics” FoF call of the ICT 2011, 2012.
- Conference Organization.
- Laser Technologies workshop, ISFOE 2012 2-5 July 2012, Thessaloniki, GR.
- Conference Chair at the CLEO 2011, 2011 CLEO: Science & Innovations 1: Laser Processing of Materials: Fundamentals and Applications, 1-6 May 2011, Baltimore, USA.
- Conference Chair at the COLA 2011, 11th INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON LASER ABLATION, November 13-19, 2011, Mexico.
- Conference Chair Symposium R, “Laser processing and diagnostics for micro and nano applications”, European-Materials Research Society, Strasbourg, 7-11 June 2010.
- Co-Editor of the Special Issue: “Laser processing and diagnostics for micro and nano applications”, Applied Surface Science (2011).
- Member of the Scientific Programme Committee, 13th European Conference on Applications of Surface and Interface Analysis, 18-23, October 2009, Antalya-Turkey.
- International Committee of the COLA 07, 23-29 September. 2007, Tenerife, Spain. Co-Editor of the Special Issue: Applied Physics A.
- Symposium J, European-Materials Research Society, Strasbourg, 31 May - 3 June 2005.
- Co-Editor of the Special Issue: Proceedings of the European Materials Research Society 2005 – Symposium J: Advances in laser and lamp processing of functional materials, Symposium organizer, Strasbourg 31 May - 3 June 2005, Applied Surface Science, 252 (13) (2006).
- Member of the International Committee of the COLA 07, 23-29 Sept. 2007, Tenerife, Spain.
- Co-Editor of the Special Issue: Applied Physics A.
- Member of the International Committee of the COLA 07, symposium organizer in symposium J, European-Materials Research Society, Starsbourg 31 May - 3 June 2005.
- Co-Member of the Organization Committee of the 7th International Conference of Laser Ablation, 5-10 October 2003.
- Member of the International Committee of the 5th International Conference on Laser Ablation (COLA 99), 19-23 July, Goettingen, Germany, (1999).
- Member of the organization Committee of the International Conference LACONA 95, Lasers in Art Conservation & Applications, September 1995, Crete.